Do I have everything in my truck so the pesticide police don’t haul me off to jail?

aaronmg: Not quite ready to go out and start the first rounds of applications yet, but I want to know if I forgot anything to pack in the trucks if I get stopped by DOT or pesticide/fert police. Here’s the list I came up with:

In truck in case of emergency:

1) 3 safety triangles

2) Commercial-grade fire extinguisher

3)Chemical spill response kit

4) Kitty litter

5) All labels of pesticides used on that particular day

6) Certification cards and depending on state, copy of pesticide business license (not sure about the business license)?

7) PPE: Follow the label

If anybody has any more to add, feel free. I researched the safety section and there’s not too much about PPE or requirements for pesticides. It always seems to deteriorate into an argument of GVW and weight limits and restrictions.

twomancrew: I wonder the same thing. I only keep a first aid kit, extinguisher and the spill kit.

I guess my permit is at home to be honest. It’s a whole page and I don’t want it to be folded up into my wallet. Actually, it’s framed with the other permits and such.

whiffyspark: You may need a spill contingency plan. Not sure.

NIXSPRAY: For vehicle code, you’ll also need fuse(s), and it’s a good idea to have a hi-visual vest if you don’t all ready.

And, I’m not sure you need the actual business license, just the number.

aaronmg: First Aid Kit is a must. I forgot that one. My state of Maryland card has me as an employee of my business, the license number and certification number should be good. I’m waiting on my fertilization business license number so I can put that number on the front fender of both sides of the truck. Maryland is getting crazy with this stuff. I have the safety green shirts, both in long sleeve and short. From my understanding, if you have the labels and the kit you’re good to go in Maryland anyway.

Trees Too: Great list!

Things I have to add:

1) The company’s name and phone number in minimum 3-inch block lettering on both sides of the vehicle.

2) Shipping papers (vehicle manifest) may be required for certain products regulated as hazardous under DOT regulations. The regulatory section of an MSDS lists whether or not the pesticide product is a DOT regulated product.

3) Always carry a spill kit including a shovel and broom and “steel sac” garbage bag, and appropriate PPE.

4) Where practical, use a tarp as a bed-liner.

5) Ratchet-type strap-downs to secure load.

For more info, I advise checking out the “Hazardous Materials Information Center” at

6) State issued pesticide applicator card

7) Copy of applicator business license

8) PPE: long pants and sleeves, protective footwear, impervious gloves (carry an extra pair)

9) No leaks, In vehicle or equipment!

10) “CAUTION” flags…that state: “Pest application; keep off until dry”

11) Proper paperwork and “leave behinds” for customers

twomancrew: Lawn signs are the law here, too. I didn’t mention that and I still hand-write mine, but they have to be done in Iowa.

aaronmg: The good thing about living out in the most rural part of Maryland is that the inspectors call days in advance to make sure you’re going to be home when they come to visit. It would be a wasted day if they couldn’t chase us down up here. The paperwork could be an issue. I’m planning on just using a cellphone and a notebook if I don’t get service at a particular property.

inzane: How about a fill sheet for what’s in your tanks? I also carry MSDS sheets as well for each product I’m using.

Trees Too: Good to keep a blank “Spill Report” form on-board in case you have a spill. I believe that the “Reportable” quantity of a spill is a minimum of 5 gallons.

A lot of the info discussed here varies from state to state. You need to contact you own state’s Department of Agriculture to verify the correct information.

To that end, you also need to include an eye-wash bottle (maybe two) as well, and also a tube of waterless hand cleaner (or “Go-Jo” wipes).

aaronmg:All good answers and suggestions! I just want to make sure if I would ever have a situation where I was inspected, I could pass with flying colors. I’m not so worried about the DOT there, just worried about the weight of the vehicle and fire extinguishers, etc. I’m not so sure in Maryland, if they pull you over they can’t enforce any rules of the Department of Ag because they aren’t trained for pesticide regulations. I’m talking about the DOT in this situation. As I stated earlier in this thread, I am required by the state of Maryland to have a label on my person or in truck of all pesticides being in the tank or being thrown by the spreader. Nowhere in my studies or training does the state of Maryland require a written invoice for any customer. Tablets and cell phone records should be fine.

mclarke: Not that you probably need it, but an ERG book is not bad too have (Emergency Response Guide). Your local DMV has them and it lists every possible chemical they can come up with and has good info about each chemical (including chemical number), as well as its hazards and how to handle it.

You should not need it, but I like having it.

Patriot Services: X2 plus safety goggles. I also have a couple bottles of sterile saline water with a tablespoon of baby shampoo in them. I’ve always been anal about being able to irrigate eyes after a chemical splash, especially with the more acidic products.